I Have Lost My Faith in Cats

Last Sunday was a terrible one for me. Our cat bit on my left leg while I was eating my breakfast. I did not stepped on its tail nor hurt any of his body part. Maybe, my cat lost his patience so he bit me. After that, he went outside of our house immediately. We looked each other. His eyes were pitiful like he was trying to ask for mercy. I cannot imagine that after all the caring I have given to him, he betrayed me. He bit the "leg" that feeds him. I did not enjoy my breakfast during that time. My whole day was ruined by that single bite. I am really doing my best to be a responsible pet owner. I am fond of cats. But, with this incident, I became uninterested on cats. That one domestic animal that I love to take care has been crossed out from my list.

Back then, I am a proud cat owner. My first pet that I received was cat. It was a white with orange fur. The family named the cat, Milky (sounds girly). Actually, it was a male one. We received it from our first cousin as a kitten. I still remembered that we fed him using the coconut husk cleaned by our grandfather. He loves to drink milk.

Milky was my play buddy. Every time I am walking going to my grandmother's house, he also treads and runs fast most of the time. He loves to play with the cassette tape and broom stick. He was behaved. In fact, he was just silent when my sister was holding him when my mother was a capturing a photo of us with my sister.  From that day on, I became interested on cats. We treated our cat as a family member. My father wrote his name with ours in a book. Through the years of my childhood, my cat witnessed my growth. 

But, all good things come to end. Because I had weak lungs, we gave up our cat. I was dejected during that day. I really loved Milky. However, I had to take care of myself.

I thought that we could not have cats because of my condition. We had several cats that we took when I was in high school. Those are female cats. The problem we had was it was a hard time of enduring the smell of kittens' waste. When the kittens became strong, we bestowed those to our relatives. None of our cats replaced Milky. That cat was amiable. Our bonding moments were the best.

We stopped taking care of cats when I was in my last years in college. Cats became our household members when "senyora" or "mabait" (common terms for rat) intervened in our peaceful life. That was the time that our current cat existed. We reared as one of the kittens of our female cat. We only had the capacity to take care one cat. So, it was the lone male cat that was left. It was named Muning, a common name for a cat.

The cat was playful when it was young. He starts his day climbing up the trees. He does his patrolling to catch his enemies. He is successful in giving the verdict on his preys sometimes. The greatest heroism he did was when he protected my younger brother from a snake. He bravely fought the scaly creature. For that, he was praised by everyone in our community. By the way, we are famous in our locality because of my father. He is a teacher for more than twenty years.

The cat was growing fast. However, his biological features changed him. Every night, he explores our area to find his "forever". As a result, he often go home with wounds made by other cats. Maybe, the violence he is facing with other cats made him to misbehave last Sunday. He was driven to do that. *sigh*

Tomorrow, I am scheduled to get shots anti- rabies vaccine. I hope I can endure the first session. I was advised by a nurse to undergo three sessions. Honestly, I feel nervous about it. I am really afraid of blood and syringe needles. I need to be brave. I don't want to die yet.

After this, I think I cannot go back to my passion of loving cats. But, this scenario won't make me malevolent on cats. I still respect animals because these are fellow creatures of God. However, I still put myself on top before other animals. Safety still matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Blog to Write On

Whose Voice Will Be Chosen on Waze Filipino Edition?